Mathematics achievement in East Alabama is lagging behind state averages. Moreover, serious achievement gaps exist between race and income groups. TEAM-Math is working to systematically improve mathematics education in this region so all our children can succeed in mathematics.
All too often students find school mathematics to be a stumbling block. The goal of TEAM-Math is to transform this unfortunate impression, to help students meet their full mathematics potential, preparing them to be life-long learners and productive citizens. To this end, TEAM-Math is changing both the curriculum taught and the way that curriculum is brought to life.
The role of TEAM-Math
TEAM-Math will be working to increase in your child’s mathematics achievement. Your child will also develop better critical thinking skills along with a sense of excitement and confidence about mathematics. These skills and qualities will enable your child to take higher level mathematics courses, opening up the possibility of going into mathematics related career fields.
Your role as a parent
- Set high standards for your child in math.
- Point out that many jobs require math.
- Help your child see that math is very much a part of everyday life.
- Stimulate your child’s interest in technology.
- Play games that help your child develop decision making and mental math skills
- Be positive about math and encourage your child to do his/her best.
- Participate in school events like Family Math Night so you will be aware of the things you can do at home to reinforce what your child is learning in school.